For the last 175 years, Vermont College has served as a pillar institution in Vermont, serving thousands of students from across the country. From its beginnings as Montpelier Seminary to its illustrious history as Vermont Junior College and Vermont College, the institution has provided opportunities for students of all disciplines to pursue their educational goals.
Vermont College officially opened its doors as Newbury Seminary in Newbury, Vermont, in 1834. Since 1868, Vermont College has been located on a 31-acre campus in Montpelier at the intersection of East State Street and College Street. The striking campus, patterned with brick buildings and centered by a scenic college green, was previously the site of a Civil War hospital.
In June 2008, Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA) bought the historic Vermont College campus and three MFA programs from Union Institute & University, which had owned the campus since 2001.
For more information, or for historic Vermont College alumni, please contact Ann Cardinal at (802) 828-8589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1834 Newbury Seminary
1841 Newbury Theological Institute
1846 Springfield Wesleyan Seminary
1865 Vermont Conference Seminary
1870 Vermont Methodist Seminary
1894 Montpelier Seminary
1941 Vermont Junior College
1958 Vermont College
1972 Vermont College of Norwich University
2001 Vermont College of Union Institute & University
2008 Vermont College of Fine Arts
2009 175th Anniversary of Vermont College