The annual MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults Alumni/ae Mini-Residency (AMR) combines elements of an alumni reunion, professional networking event, and a shortened version of the traditional VCFA residency.
The AMR offers an opportunity for writers to meet face-to-face with a professional editor, agent or publicist. Participants learn about the business end of writing from established editors and agents in the writing for young readers field. Writers jumpstart their writing in a familiar and supportive environment.
The 8th annual Alumni Mini Residency, a three-day conference for WCYA alumni focusing on both the craft and the business of writing, will take place from June 19-21, 2015.
Master Classes and Faculty
These classes are lead by award-winning authors. For Summer 2015, the master class faculty will be author Cynthia Leitich Smith.
Additional faculty will include:
- M.T. Anderson - Lecturer & Panelist
- Sharon Darrow - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
- Katherine Paterson - Lecturer & Panelist
- Shelley Tanaka - Lecturer & Workshop Facilitator
Participants will have the opportunity to participate in workshops with Sharon, Cyn or Shelley for an additional fee of $25 per person.
Alumni can choose to do 10-minute, one-on-one consultations with editors or agents, or a 30-minute session with book publicists. This exciting new format gives more personalized attention and a wider range of options no matter where a writer is in their writing career.
This year's consultants include:
- Deb Shapiro of Deb Shapiro & Company - Publicist
- Agent Emily Mitchell of the Wernick & Platt Agency
- Agent Nancy Gallt of the Nancy Gallt Literary Agency
- Editor Allyn Johnson of Beach Lane Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster
- Editor Lisa Cheng of Running Press Teens
Throughout the weekend, open discussions and readings are ongoing with fellow alumni, editors and agents, as well as lectures, Q&A sessions, and much more! The schedule will be announced before registration opens.
- Registration: $495.00
- One-to-one critiques with editor or agent: $50.00
- Consultation with publicist: $50.00
- Workshop with faculty: $25.00
Thanks to a new schedule, we're happy to offer alumni the opportunity to stay in dorm rooms on campus during the AMR. Rates are $65 for a single room per night or $32.50 for a double room (with roommate) per night.
Alumni interested in arriving early for personal retreat time may do so beginning on Monday, June 15th at the same rate. All alumni must vacate their dorm rooms no later than Monday, June 22nd at 10 am to accommodate the incoming MFA in Writing students.
Please note: Children and pets are not permitted to stay in the dorms. Thanks for your understanding.
Deb Gonzales, '08 WCYA
Email: Deb Gonzales
Director of Alumni Relations
Mini Residency Dates
- June 19-21, 2015
- Registration opens on February 5, 2015
"There’s no greater pleasure than in coming home."
-Ginger Johnson, AMR participant 2013