Alumnx Benefits & Services
Upon graduation, VCFA students become members of our treasured alumnx. Our mission: keep graduates connected to their campus, peers, and faculty—whether through on-campus events or our growing regional networks.
VCFA offers retreat space at the Louise Harwood Crowley Center for Faculty & Alumnx (Crowley Center) and Martin House for use by alumnx from all programs. There are two distinct types of alumnx retreat, which may be scheduled at various times of the year when space is available.
Blackout dates apply; see the academic calendar for residency dates in green, which constitute blackout periods for Crowley Center. There may be additional blackout dates not indicated in the residency schedule.
Typical open dates are as follows: mid-February through end of March; May through mid-June; late August through late September; and November through mid-December. Interested alumni may contact us to inquire about other possible open times.
VCFA Email Address
Your VCFA.edu email address unlocks numerous alumnx benefits like unlimited Google Drive space and access to your program’s Commons page with archived lectures and chat rooms. You may keep it in perpetuity.
Regional Alumnx Receptions
Alumnx gatherings happen all over the country throughout the year. Keep an eye out for emails and save-the-dates.
VCFA at Industry Conferences
Meet up with VCFA staff, faculty, and alumnx at the following conferences:
- American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
- American Literary Translators Association (ALTA)
- Asia Pacific Writers & Translators
- Association of Writers & Writing Programs (AWP)
- Brooklyn Book Festival
- Chamber Music America (CMA)
- College Art Association (CAA)
- College Music Society
- The Color of Children’s Literature (Kweli Journal)
- Hong Kong International Literary Festival
- HOW Design Live
- The Muse & the Marketplace
- National Art Education Association (NAEA)
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI)
Vermont College of Fine Arts graduates can return to Montpelier for postgraduate study to reinvigorate their career or jump-start new work. Our postgraduate programs allow alumni to be part of the dynamic VCFA community of faculty, visiting lecturers, guests, and MFA/MA candidates.
- WCYA Alumnx Mini-Residency – Combining elements of an alumnx reunion, professional networking event, and a shortened version of the traditional VCFA residency, this weekend program runs every other year in November.
- Novel Retreat – A special program devoted solely to full immersion novel writing, the week will feature readings, presentations, and faculty mentorships, with full-length manuscript critiques available.
- Picture Book Intensive Semester – This 16-credit intensive semester is open to current MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults (WCYA) students, alumnx of the MFA in Writing, MFA in WCYA, MFA in Writing & Publishing, and International MFA in Creative Writing & Literary Translation programs, and experienced writers who are interested in furthering their exploration of the picture book form.
- Postgraduate Writers’ Conference – Created as a haven for serious, emerging practitioners seeking to connect and recharge, and lift their process and craft to new levels.
- Visual Art Postgraduate Semester – Designed for artists whose research-based practice is stuck in a holding pattern or artists yearning to develop a new direction in their studio practice.
- Writer2Writer Online Alumnx Writing Packet Exchange – Writer2Writer pairs alumnx looking for support on postgraduate writing endeavors through a coordinated packet exchange with fellow graduates.
- Writing Novels for Young People Retreat – A working weekend for serious writers of middle-grade and young adult books and for alumnx and all writers wanting to take their novels to the next level.
- Writing and WCYA Postgraduate Semester – Ideal for writers who want assistance launching a new writing project, want to master a new genre or need help preparing a prose, poetry or writing for young readers project for publication.
In addition to the programs listed above, alumnx may have the option to attend an overseas residency as a participant through our MFA in Writing, MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults, or International MFA in Creative Writing & Literary Translation programs. Find out more on our Residencies Abroad page.
Refer a Prospective Student
Know of a fellow artist or writer who would be perfect for the transformative experience you had at VCFA? Tell them about us! By sharing personal stories, VCFA alumnx embody our mission to foster the excellence of emerging and established practitioners. Tell friends, co-workers, and fellow writers and artists about VCFA, and direct them to our website to learn more.
Engage on Social Media
Become an active participant in VCFA’s online community by following us on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, Facebook, and SoundCloud. Use #VCFAalumnx to stay part of the conversation and share VCFA’s news and events with your network.
Be sure to use and follow these additional VCFA-related hashtags:
#VCFAart (Visual Art)
#VCFAartedu (Art & Design Education)
#VCFAdesign (Graphic Design)
#VCFAmusic (Music Composition)
#VCFAwcya (Writing for Children & Young Adults)
#VCFAwritpub (Writing & Publishing)
VCFA Young Writers Network
Founded by alumnx of VCFA’s Writing for Children & Young Adults Program, the VCFA Young Writers Network connects the college’s passionate—and growing—alumnx community to the children least likely to meet and learn from professional authors.
We’re helping to raise a diverse next generation of writers by creating a mentoring network that inspires young writers to:
- Discover their voices
- Develop their craft
- Explore future careers in writing
Want more ways to connect?
Director of Alumnx Affairs & Diversity Initiatives
866-934-8232, ext. 8839