From supporting our students and faculty to investing in the communities around us, VCFA is committed to fostering current and future generations of artists. Explore the ways you can support us, our artists, and the community.
The Fund for VCFA
The Fund for VCFA sustains Vermont College of Fine Arts for the future, supporting the highest needs of our institution. It provides support for academic program operations, faculty, scholarships, facilities upgrades and improvements, and new program development.
The Fund supports the current fiscal year which runs July 1 to June 30.
Artists Development Fund
The Artists Development Fund grew from our commitment to embracing emerging artists and inspiring them to transform their work and their career. Through this annually growing investment fund, our goal is to raise millions in support of scholarships that benefit students in all nine of our graduate programs.
VCFA created the Artists Development Fund to ensure artists have the means to follow their muse and develop their passion. We believe it is an important step in building a successful arts college and bolstering the VCFA artist community, which stretches far beyond Vermont’s borders.
The arts community at VCFA is a special place, and we believe our network of artists, writers, designers, musicians, teachers, and filmmakers is an energetic and burgeoning force in the global art world.
The Artists Development Fund helps financially support artists from diverse backgrounds by providing them access to the highest level of graduate arts education to further their creativity. Artists can only continue to work and thrive if we continue providing them with opportunities to expand their practice, broaden their experience, and strengthen their support network.
By giving to the Artists Development Fund, donors provide support for VCFA students through five different outlets.
Five Funding Segments
- Douglas Glover Fund for Writers, Authors & Publishers: This segment is specifically for writers passionate enough to turn the writing life into their career, whether their focus is on fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, or writing for children and young adults.
- Diversity & Inclusion: As part of VCFA’s mission, we nurture the artistic, intellectual, individual, and social development of all members of our community, and we welcome all who value diversity and inclusion in teaching and learning. This section is for students who will become the next multicultural voice in their field.
- Art & Design: This is for Visual Art and Graphic Design students who are beginning their art and design careers with VCFA. It also will help prepare those that are completing their final exhibitions.
- Emerging Filmmakers & New Composers: Our student filmmakers look to revolutionize the experience and creation of today’s films, and our composers examine ways to advance their music while learning from the best in the industry. Completing a film thesis or a music composition thesis represents a significant financial undertaking, and this will help alleviate some of that expense.
- Contemporary Educators: Many of our students attend VCFA to become educators in their chosen fields. This area will allow our current and prospective students to become the next generation of teachers in art, design, writing, and more.
Contact the Office of Institutional Advancement with questions on how to support the Artists Development Fund or if you’re interested in making a multi-year commitment: [email protected].
Katherine Paterson Endowed Chair and Development Fund
Named for VCFA Board Member and beloved author, the Katherine Paterson Endowed Chair and Development Fund was established in 2018 as a fundraising initiative to create both an endowed faculty chair and a faculty development fund in our MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults (WCYA).
Katherine Paterson’s work has impacted countless people of all ages around the world. In order to honor her contributions to both the writing for children and young adults field and to VCFA, we feel it is only fitting to create an endowed faculty position that will have a profound impact on the future writers of this field.
The Faculty Development Fund allows faculty members to attend national and international conferences, retreats, and other events in order to continuously grow as writers and educators.
Many alumnx feel deeply connected to their own academic program and choose to make a gift specifically to support that program’s operations and scholarship offerings. You can direct your donation toward a particular program via the online donation form or by speaking with our Office of Institutional Advancement: [email protected].
VCFA Young Writers Network
Founded by alumnx of VCFA’s Writing for Children & Young Adults Program, the VCFA Young Writers Network connects the college’s passionate—and growing—alumnx community to the children least likely to be able to meet and learn from professional authors.
Our goal is to raise a diverse next generation of writers by creating a mentoring network that inspires young writers to discover their voice, develop their craft, and explore future careers in writing.
What We Do
We work with existing nonprofits in communities where VCFA authors live, connecting our talented authors with youth populations underserved by existing creative writing resources and underrepresented in children’s literature as a whole.
We currently focus our work in the northern New England states—Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts—where we offer intensive school- and community-based residencies in collaboration with our nonprofit partners. These programs (available for grades K-12) offer children an opportunity to explore their own stories through engaging, authentic activities that increase their confidence, motivation, and skill as writers.
Vermont & New Hampshire
- Arts Alliance of Northern New Hampshire
- Children’s Literacy Foundation
- Young Writers Project
- The Telling Room
- 826 Boston
Connect with our Office of Institutional Advancement
VP for Institutional Advancement